Sunday, February 12, 2017

The Woman at Central Park

I told her I stole the glasses from my mother
who she commended to have great taste
and then she said no one in her family lived to be 90.
It could be worse
I told her,
she was blessed
to see the lake from her window,
to live on 72nd street since the age of 17.
I wanted to ask what led her feet here,
if the woman sitting next to her,
entreated by a phone, the same one
who complained this 90 year-old nagged
in abundance was her daughter-in-law.
Instead she asked                     what do you do
for a living?
I told her I was a poet.
The lake doesn’t make me any younger,
your balance sways when you get older.
I agreed. She asked if I would return
the glasses. I told her I would.
You're a good child she said,

pulling her cart full of tangerines away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ad 1