Monday, March 31, 2014

In Honor of Women Who Give Life...

I could not let it go without making a comment. March, a month that celebrates women for their various achievements and talents. Today, I want to celebrate two people who mean so much to me. (I will exclude my mother from this list since I would like to say more about her on Mother's Day)

First award goes to my grandmother, my father's mother, who taught me how to cook. I grew up with this old but really talented chef that cared so much about life. She had a little garden in our backyard where she grew anything she could lay her hands on. She started with peppers then moved on to yams and then tomatoes and on and on and on. She would always ask me to help her water the plants after I came home from school. I always saw it as a bother: I would rather run around or sleep under a table. (weird child, I know). Looking back now, my grandmother presented me with the warmest part of life, which is the ability to give something else life. She is the reason why I write so many stories and poems. She is one of the reasons why I miss Ghana most of the time. She is probably the only reason why I care so much about other people and act more mature than my age.

The second award goes to Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. You haven't heard of her? well then you are missing out on a really good literature I had the opportunity to meet her ealier this month at the Aspen Institute and I took a selfie but that is besides the point. Because of Adichie, I went back writing and I am really happy about that. (I switched from my creative writing concentration to literature and  creative writing is never the same when things like that happen)



. I am grateful that she is a woman who writes creatively. I appreciate it even more that she has inspired my research topic for graduate school. Reading her works not only makes me feel relaxed but also allows me to be confident in whatever I want to say (well, about literature). Relevance, yes that's the word, she allows me to brings relevance to my education. I was blessed to meet her earlier this month at the

1 comment:

Ad 1