Saturday, June 6, 2015

Sharing My Precious Poems

Hello lovely readers,

This month, I'll be sharing some of my favorite poems I have written so far. The first would be this one, because it was one of the first few poems I wrote when I began to take my poetry seriously.

As a child, living in the city of Accra, I spent a lot of time in the market which was loud, large, and yet so colorful and rich. I would do anything to make sure my Saturday afternoons were spent in the market instead of the quiet kitchen at home. I found that markets in New York were not the same as markets in Accra. I was highly disappointed because everything was too organized and I couldn't bargain for anything I bought... So mechanic. Here's a little bit of nostalgia in black ink and free verse.

A Taste of Accra

My feet in cold clay.
Dried  in the burning heat of Accra.
My wet kente lies on twisted blue ropes.

Welcomed by the high-pitched chattering of fat market
women. Sweet juice from red tomatoes and acid green peppers,
blend with the sourness of gari, dried fish, and wet snails.

A school girl squats near a Forget-Me-Not tree.
Her beige overalls sag between brown legs.
She bites into a purple Indian almond, waving away flies.

Peep! Peep! from long lines of lorries
standing under the orange sun.
Fading in the music, I hear
the invisible crickets wail,
and the pitiful moan
of the Christmas goat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ad 1