Wednesday, April 16, 2014

A week later...

And so where have I been?

Last week was extremely hectic for me. I was trying to piece together words for a presentation and also trying to organize something else, (I have forgotten what) but it seemed like my forever was near. I did not want to write poetry or read poetry or even.... Here I am, a week later, feeling bad for not keeping up to my promise/goal. I don't have seven poems to make up for all of this lost precious time, but I have a few...

True story...simply that

Passing Winds
I lost my big toe nail
On a Sunday afternoon
Sliced in half
By a falling blackboard
Pushed by the passing wind
My sister nursed
The green and pale skin
With a white napkin
Salty bubbly water
Pierced my wound
The steam in my screams
Called the hot winds
To serve me with cool warmth



My Well Runs Dry
Aku and I
raced with empty buckets
to the well
while crickets stretched limbs
and the sun cracked from its shell
My metal bucket
half empty
balanced on my neck

My arms stretched
to guard what remained
We didn’t race back
A mountain of clothes
laid waiting

My grandmothers garden
Grew thirsty.


Ampe is a game little girls like me used to play in Accra. It was so much fun because it involved several people. Sometimes I made my greatest enemies from playing ampe: simply because they had “shot” me out of the game at its early stages. I can’t play ampe in America, whatever that means.

Ampe
girls jumping
kicking tan sands
into the air
they clap
pa pa pa
singing songs
of home



Channeling my inner African? NO! I was simply retelling observations of my lifestyle. I didn't live in a jungle...it's just similar to how New Yorkers (some) live with rats/mice/roaches :Each region to its own.

Wild life
in Accra,
I shared my bed
with a yellow lizard
and ate with a baby cockroach
I ate my sweets with red
soldier ants
and sold my garbage
to the bald wet vultures
I complained to the bats
their bite marks
impressed on the indian almond
a green snake watched
my grandmother’s crops
grow
and fed them to the crows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ad 1